Izmit Clock Tower
The Clock Tower which is located at between Kasr-i Humayun (Izmit Palace) and the Ataturk Statue in Kemalpasa Neighborhood of Izmit was built in 1902 by Kazim Bey, the Governor of Izmit, in order to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sultan Abdulhamit II's ascension to the throne. There are fountains all around the tower which was built in the neoclassical style with travertine stone blocks brought from Hereke and Taysancil. The Clock Tower which was restored by the Metropolitan Municipality of Kocaeli continues to be an important symbol of Izmit.
Historical Train Station-Izmit
The railway line which goes from Haydarpasa to Izmit for 91 kilometers entered into service in August 4th, 1871 and reached Izmit in August 1st, 1973. Izmit Train Station and the structures around it were built in time as they were needed. The oldest structure among them is the ground floor section of the passenger saloon. German architect Otto Ritter drew the plans of Izmit Train Station. The structure was built in the neoclassical style. It witnessed greeting ceremonies for many important statesmen including Ataturk and many others. Part of the building which was restored by the Governership of Kocaeli in 2006 is being used as a restaurant and another section is being used as a museum.
TCG Hizir Reis Submarine Museum Ship-Izmit
TCG Hizirreis, on the deck of which the Turkish flag was hoisted in California in September 30th, 1983 after serving the USA Naval Forces for 30 years, was left out of active service on February 9th, 2004 and it was turned into a museum ship by the Navy Command and the Metropolitan Municipality of Kocaeli and it was opened to public on October 29th, 2004. The submarine looks like a huge whale near the TCG Gayret Destroyer with its height of 87 meters and approximate weight of 2 thousand tons greets visitors with its -sinking buoy- and propellers along with the propellers of TCG Gayret. The living quarters of these ships were preserved as original and they were decorated with sailor models in order to give and idea of the hard conditions of living in the sea. The sound installation installed all around the vessel audibly informs visitors. The sound of torpedos being fired and original recorded voices from the vessel's crews can be heard during the audible presentation and this makes visitiors feel like they are sailors during a sea war.
TCG Gayret Museum
The ship which was built in USA on May 10th, 1946 and named USA Everson went through the seaports of Panama, Puerto Rico, Azore Islands and Spain after joining the Korea and Vietnam wars and was adopted by the Turkish Navy Command and named as TCG Gayret on July 11th, 1973. TCG Gayret joined many simulated military operations between the years 1975 and 1995 was left out of service on May 5th, 1995 and preserved in Poyraz port. The ship was turned into an art gallery and museum by Golcuk Navy Command, the Governorship of Kocaeli and the Metropolitan Municipality of Kocaeli in 1997 and it was carried over to in front of the Izmit Train Station on August 13th, 1997. There are open and closed cafeterias along with museum and presentation centers on sailorship inside the Gayret Ship Museum.
Archaeology and Ethnography Musuem-Izmit
Izmit Archaeology and Ethnography Museum in which 5250 items are displayed literally enthralls its visitors in Izmit which embraced many civilizations in its history of about 2 thousand years and where priceless historical treasures are erupting from the ground. The Archaeology and Ethnography Museum which is located within the complex area of Historical Station Buildings and opened to the public in 2007 after its restoration which started in 2004 was completed includes a conference room for 130 people apart from its exhibition rooms. Some of the items are displayed in the building whereas some are displayed in the garden of the museum under strict security precautions. The building which is located within the museum area and was used to be used as a hangar is also used as an exhibition room. Another one of the buildings was organized as a laboratory in order to use it in observing historical items. An old authentic locomotive which was redecorated for use inside the cafeteria and the restaurant and two wagons offer service by preserving the section of the rails which are located in front of the station building.
Kaiser II. Wilhelm Manor - Hereke
Just like its carpets, the historical structures in Hereke are also among world-renown structures. One of these structures is the Manor of Kaiser Wilhelm II located in the shore of Hereke where the weaving and carpet factory of Surnerbank used to be located. The manor's story of building is an interesting one. It was deemed to be necessary to build a manor for foreign visitors who came to Hereke to see the carpets woven there after they became world-renown as it entertaining these visitors in simple huts was not appropriate and this manor was built upon the order of Sultan Abdulhamit II before the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II's visit to Izmit. The manor was built within three weeks within Yildiz Palace and it was carried in pieces through the seaway to Hereke where it was reintegrated. Foreign guests like the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II; Baron Marshall, Prince of Bulgaria and Ambassador of Germany and Ibn-Resit, Ambassador of Britain who came to see Sultan Abdulhamit II and Hereke due to its famous carpets were entertained in this manor and local souvenirs like silk prayer rugs, carpets, tailoring fabrics, shawls and handkershiefs produced in Hereke. The Emperor later presented a unique bug collection to the manor. Although not precisely known, the manor is known to be built by the Italian architect Raimondo d'Aronco and no metal nails were used as the boat construction technique was employed for its construction. The manor has a complete wooden construction and it has many doors, as an interesting detail, opening to various directions facing both the land and the sea. Hereke carpets, silk cladding and curtains were used in furnishing the manor. The bergere-style sitting group in the living room of the manor which was decorated with furniture from palaces is thought to be built in the early 20th century.
Osman Hamdi Bey Museum Gebze
The manor of Osman Hamdi Bey who was a famous Turkish artist, curator and archaeologist known by all art-lovers without any exception with his painting named "the Turtle Trainer" is located in the shore of Eskihisar which is within 5 kilometers' distance to Gebze. Osman Hamdi Bey attended many duties abroad and built his manor, painting workshop, boat house and its outhouse on the western shore of the village after returning to his country in 1884. The manorwas designated to the headquarters commander during World War I. Atatiirk visited this manor in 1933. The wooden upper floor burnt down during the fire that broke down in the painting workshop in 1945. The manor of Osman Hamdi was also substantially damaged by the earthquake of 1999. The manor remained damaged until being overtaken by the Metropolitan Municipality of Kocaeli and it was restored to its current state and opened to the service of art-lovers as a museum with the efforts of the municipality.
Kocaeli Mevlevi House was established through restoration of one of the building in Seka Lodges located in Sekapark. The house constitutes of two sections. The first section includes an area which was organized as a living museum displaying Mevlevi allusion and fine arts like marbling and calligraphy as well as a presentation area where the Mevlevi approach is promoted. Here, visitors can watch cinevision and barcovision presentations in small groups. The seconds section includes two separate rooms where scientific and artistic meetings can be held and poem, literature or commemoration days can be conducted.
House of Thokiily Imre-Izmit
The culture house built in the name of the Hungarian King Thokoly Imre who went under Ottoman asylum after escaping the civil war that broke out during the 17th and the 18th centuries and lived in Kocaeli was built within Sekapark as required by the protocol signed by the Ministry of Culture of Hungary and the Metropolitan Municipality of Kocaeli. This "House of Commemoration" which was built in memory of the Hungarian King Thokoly Imre who was one of the most important figures of Hungarian history, sought asylum of the Ottoman Empire upon a war lost to the inquisition, lived in Izmit and died there about 300 years ago contains many documents and furniture from the respective era. The opening of the "Thokoly Imre Commemoration House" was performed by Ertuğrul Günay, Minister of Culture together with Tourism and Dr. Stvan Hiller, Hungarian Minister of Culture and Education. Many documents beloging to the era and many personal belogings of Thököly Imre are displayed in the Commemoration House.